Friday, July 3, 2009

Thrown to the Lions

So we've started our work as interns and, man, do we have our work cut out for us! Our first day was exhausting--I worked a 15 hour shift and Kev had some computer training and then went to work. We both came home totally beat. Little did we know our 2nd day was going to be worse.

My day started out early--was at the hospital by 4:45am. I got to scrub into my first C-section and assist which was nerve racking because I had no clue what to do (even though I watched this video on how to do them). I thought we were off to clinic after that and then realized that we had one more C-section to do---and I would be the primary surgeon. To make a long story short, I was EXTREMELY slow but managed to pull that baby out--I definitely need to work on my speed and learning all the different instruments I need to call for--yikes!

After that, I had to go to clinic in the afternoon where there were 240 patients to see between about 10 residents and a handful of NPs. A policeman had to go into the waiting room for crowd control at one point. We finished clinic up at 8:15pm--another 15 hour day. Luckily my very understanding, patient 4th year resident let me go home today since most of my patients went home.

Kev worked a 30 hour shift yesterday--yes, 30 hours in a row, no sleep=no fun. He just got home and promptly fell asleep. He says he got paged over 60 times throughout the night. I can only imagine how crazy that must have been. He thinks he'll get Sunday off which is great since I have Sunday off, too (I'm on call tomorrow).

Anyway, we've officially jumped into intern year---let's hope we make it out alive!!

4 comments:

  1. You are both very impressive!! Brittany, you are awesome, doing C-sections, wow. And Kevin, you were oh so popular, getting paged 60 times, and working 30 hours with no sleep, amazing! That will be wonderful to both get Sunday off - a well deserved rest.

    XOXOXOXO, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you'll make it, and you'll kick butt doing it!!!!!

    LOOOOOOOOVE
    Smiddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, I worry about you!! Please get enough sleep! Kevin, too!!

    P.S. You are both amazing!!

    Mom XXXOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany and Kevin,

    We think your blog was a great idea! We are looking forward to hearing about your experiences "down south". "Ya all" will find Texas quite interesting. If you need any information about Dallas, my neice Shannon can help as she recently lived in the city.

    I hope you make it out to Austin. It is a city that is much different from the rest of Texas. The hills around Lake Travis are beautiful. The Oasis is a restaurant overlooking Lake Travis. It is the place to watch the sunset. Check out the web site www.oasis-austin.com. I'm sure Kevin would like 6th Street for some cervesas.

    Good job with your C-sections. Soon you will be doing emergency C-sxns without a thought!

    Good Luck to both of you! Remember, work hard, play hard!

    Love,
    Cynthia and Anthony

    ReplyDelete